Sentimental Sangria Spritzer

Thursday, July 15, 2010

The way my husband and I met was pretty much like something out of a romance novel. We were both new to San Diego and had signed up for a salsa class at Cafe Sevilla in the heart of downtown. The following would be my husband's description of that fated encounter: He saw me from across the room, taking into account every detail of my presence...from the tiny barrette clipped neatly just above my ear, right down to the tiny heart applique on my toenail. As I approached the bar to order a drink, he leaned over and asked if I would like to join him for a Sangria. The rest, folks, is history.

Every so often, I like to remember that special day and enjoy a Sangria with my husband. Last night, however, was the first time we made it from scratch.... and after pairing it with our red wine marinated mushrooms and pan seared scallops, it will certainly not be the last!!

Most Sangria recipes will call for Triple Sec, Cognac or some other type of Brandy, but I didn't use any of those. Here is my super easy & simple recipe for Sangria Spritzer -

Ingredients:
1 - 1.5L chilled bottle of any rose wine or sweet red wine (I chose a white Merlot because the color is a little deeper than a traditional rose wine)
simple syrup, to taste
1 California orange, thinly sliced
1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
1/2 pint fresh raspberries
sliced lime, for garnishment and a splash of taste
fresh mint, for garnishment (and smell!)
Club soda


Directions:
In a large pitcher, combine wine and fruit. Add simple syrup, just a small amount at a time, until desired taste is achieved. Stir well. Cover with lid and refrigerate for at least an hour, but up to one day. When ready to enjoy, pour liquid into a chilled glass and scoop in a generous amount of fruit. Garnish with fresh mint sprigs and a slice of lime. Add a splash of club soda, if so desired.

I highly recommend this drink. It is SUPERB!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Aventuras en la Cocina Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino